Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Crazies: 1973 v. 2010



VERSUS



The Crazies – 1973 and 2010

I find very few movies where the remake vastly surpasses the original. In fact, I can’t think of that ever happening before, now that I really think about it. Of course, I saw the 2010 remake before I saw the 1973 original, so I wonder if my opinion would be different if that was reversed. In any case, I was so beyond bored when I was watching the original, and the 2010 version is pretty awesome, especially in comparison.

First I’ll talk about the original, although I have to admit I stopped paying much attention pretty quickly because it was so boring. About half way through my boyfriend said to me “I don’t know why you’re a fan of Romero. He sucks.” And you know what? I couldn’t argue. Out of all of his movies, I really only like a few, like the first three …Of The Dead movies. Coming five years prior to Dawn of the Dead, I feel like he used a lot of the same imagery but it worked so much better in Dawn. The Crazies really feels like Dawn of the Dead at times – not to mention Richard France is in both of them. I feel like the 1973 The Crazies is Dawn of the Dead’s unsuccessful older brother. I was so bored that I didn’t even notice that the couple having sex is father and daughter until I rewatched it (and my girl MogulArmy told me).

So both movies are about a small town that is overwhelmed with a biological weapon “Trixie” accidentally spilled into their water. The government comes in and seemingly tries to quarantine the infected while saving the uninfected. The main message is active distrust of the government. That’s really all the two versions have in common, and they both achieve this in drastically different ways.

Comparatively, the government is much more evil in the remake, and “the crazies” are much scarier in the remake, too. In the original they’re much more stereotypically “crazy.” There’s really only one murder committed by them – in the very beginning when a random farm father kills the mother and tries to burn their house down with their two kids inside. Only one of the children dies, and it’s sometime later after they’re rescued. Once the police show up, the father is laughing hysterically, then seems to understand what he’d done and begins sobbing and screaming to help his family. However, as I said they’re much scarier in the remake. They become almost as zombies hell-bent on killing everything. There’s no reasoning with them. In the remake, the same farm father (who only has a wife and one child in this version) locks both of them in a closet and torches the house. It’s an effective scare. In fact, the remake is filled with effective scares, both by the crazies and the government. Although I do want to point out that the ending of the 1973 version is sad. Even though I wasn’t paying much attention by that point I was still saddened by the ending. But really, do you want a touching ending to a horror movie? I’d much prefer that last scare. It feels more satisfying.

I wasn’t terribly sold on the 2010 version when I first saw it. I thought it was pretty decent, but I didn’t think it was amazing. Then I saw the original. It’s so much better than the original. This might be considered a spoiler, but I’m going to go ahead and say it because it was pretty much given away in the commercials and I find it important in comparing the two. In the original, out of approximately 2,000 residents, they have something like 1,300 survivors – “if you can call them that.” However, in the remake there are only a small handful of survivors.

I don’t really want to give too much away with the 2010 version but I highly recommend it. I wouldn’t even bother with the original if I were you. It left me still wondering why I consider myself a fan of George Romero and wanting to leave him angry tweets for effectively stealing my affection for this long. The 2010 remake isn’t going to keep you up at night, but it’s perfectly entertaining. The gore is decent and the suspense is wonderfully done. I found myself questioning one of the characters out loud through most of the movie. I do have to say, though, that the characters make a lot of stupid, obvious mistakes and it’s fairly predictable. But it was a good ride.

I give the original 3 and a quarter stars, Star Search style, except it’s out of 10 so what does that tell you?

I give the remake 8 stars.

Oh and I should say that this movie was highly recommended by my girl NotSoAnnoyed and she has been hounding me to get the review done. So here. <3

11 comments:

  1. The one disappointing part in the remake? The thresher. I had high hopes when that fucker got fired up in the barn, only to have them dashed. DASHED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! So true. They wasted a good opportunity there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rewatched the original in anticipation of your review because I was wondering why a fellow Romero fan wouldn't like the original. I've changed my opinion on things. I believe my earlier stance that the original was better than the remake was out of nostalgia of a formerly great film maker vs. reality.

    The original never stood up to his first 3 in his "Of The Dead" series but it was a good flick for its time. Its similiar to his zombie movies in showing how & to what extremes humanity can break down to in times of crisis, which may be why you viewers might feel a Dawn of the Dead vibe on this one. Its message for me is still good even though the movie footage hasn't stood up to the test of time or the remake.

    I think now the remake is superior to the original but only because the director took Romero's original message and KEPT PUSHING IT TO THE MOVIE WATCHERS' FACES. The violence in the movie better mirrored the horror the message held and a warning to what society can break down into.

    Some people will say Blah, blah, blah ...Romero films are just stupid horror flicks but they would be wrong. His movies(even the shitty new ones) were always a mirror to the flaws he believes exists within humanity.

    *steps off soap box*

    I give the original 6.5 stars as its still a good movie on its own.

    I agree on your 8 stars on the remake. It was well done and kept true to Romero's original message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Mogularmy,
    I feel that you are correct. The original had a strong Dawn of the Dead vibe for me because it had a lot of similar imagery. There were a lot of scenes with HAZMAT agents marching around with guns through the countryside, which was very reminiscent of the rednecks in Dawn (that's like, one of my favorite parts by the way, and why I think a zombie invasion would be super fun), and the music was very similar as well. Plus, you know, what you said.

    I appreciate Romero's social commentary on the older movies, but lately it just seems contrite and overpowering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dear Whorticulture,

    I hope when the zombie apocalypse happens there will be rednecks around my neck of the woods. Tying into your Survival Of The Dead review, the BEST part of the movie were the rednecks and their version of lollipop zombies in the woods.

    Love Romero's earlier messages but agree that his more recent movies beat the message OVER AND OVER again which makes the movie even more awful. Like you said, Romero needs to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! Blowing my Vuvuzela over here.

    I might be on scary movie overload right now since you got me back into them Eddie. But I really did enjoy the remake. Unlike some horror films I was rooting for the main characters to survive and the acting didn't suck either. The plot to the remake was even decent and it kept me interested to the very end.

    I need to sit down this week and think about another movie of the same caliber as Cape Fear to recommend. Going back and forth with current and classic film reviews was such an amazing idea. And I hope you continue with that format.

    Thanks for putting so much time and thought into your film choices and reviews.
    Much Love,
    @NotSoAnnoyed and still scared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen the original, so I can't comment, but I loved the remake all except for one thing. I may be alone here, and the film itself was brilliant, tense, had me jumping a few times (no easy feat) but the part in the nursery, when they are attacked and the always beautiful Timothy Olyphant defends his wife, did you see where the knife went? Into him. So...surely he would then become infected too? I sat for the rest of the movie basically on my husbands lap waiting for him to change, and he got snappy by the car wash, but no more than every man does when being told how to drive, but then nothing. I didn't want him to die, obviously, but it seemed that he would change, and he just didn't. I was a bit let down. But otherwise I love this film, great review Eddie!
    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  8. @StarsMum
    I'm totally with you! Because he stabs that lady in the throat, or the cheek, I don't remember which...with the knife that's in his hand, and then he pulls it out, so all of her blood would have infected his! I thought the exact same thing! I even said it to my boyfriend! My boyfriend's take on it is that it wouldn't matter because he's already proven to be immune.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it wasn't just me, thought I may have seen it wrong but I watched it again and it looked like it goes through his hand, definitely! That is kind of a bit cheeky, seeing as blood to blood infection is surely faster than the water one,but hey, I still loved it, great review!
    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  10. I put off watching this movie because everyone said it sucked. But my son wanted to watch it so what the hell, why not. I really liked this movie. It had gore, violence, scares, and one hot main character. It kept the human edge to it instead of making the main characters turn into killing machines because of the trauma they suffered. I like how it was the husband wife team that survived. I do agree about the nursery part, I too thought he would turn because their blood was mixed. But oh well. I agree, 8 stars and I will not be watching the original. I didnt even know this was a remake, so Id like to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the remake, don't even want to see the original with your review now! =D But there were plenty moments of me standing on the bed, hands up in the air all paranoid (and josh laughing at me) yelling at the TV. I may piss my pants, but can't get enough. I swore he would become infected after stabbing the infected lady, but I guess you get it from the water only!? This is a movie I can watch more than once. Love your review =) =)

    ReplyDelete