Thursday, October 21, 2010

Paranormal Activity 2

Whorticulture.com reviews Paranormal Activity 2




I want to start this review by saying my boyfriend HATED Paranormal Activity.  Hated it with three snaps in a Z formation.  He thought it was boring and stupid, and he ridiculed me for having him watch it.  Read our review of it here.  But wouldn't you know it, that boy GRIPPED me during Paranormal Activity 2.  As I type this, I'm working the pain out of my left hand from him squeezing it in fright.

Okay, now that I've thoroughly embarrassed him, I'll tell you a little about the film.  As you can tell from the previews, it brings back Katie (and Micah) from the original.  The sequel acts as prequel AND synchronous - it begins about 6 weeks before the original and continues until the day after the original ends.  It follows Katie's sister, her husband, and two children and gives a lot of explanation into the first.  It even kind of explains why they have a demon following them in the first place, although that scenario is shaky at best.

So I loved it.  I've been home for about 30 minutes and I'm still kind of freaked out.  But my concern is that the true terror comes from seeing it in a theater.  The scares are mostly loud noises (about 99% of them fall into this category), and I think the scare would be lost in a home viewing.  The audience screamed together, laughed together (it was surprisingly funny), and literally tensed up together.  As soon as the scene changed to one of the night shots, I heard people take a deep breath or whisper "oh god" in preparation for another scare.  Normally this would have bugged the hell out of me.  I freaking loathe when girls scream at movies.  While I didn't scream along with them, it all seemed to fit and I didn't mind it so much.

While most of the scares were loud noises, which I normally find cheap, I want to embarrass myself a little here and tell you that one of them scared me so bad I literally almost threw up.  I didn't just jump, I curled into a ball.  The guy next to me spent most of the movie in a ball, with his hands covering his face, and whimpering.  I found that hilarious.  But yes, I almost threw up.  And I would have been mortified had I vomited, so thankfully I contained that mess.

I won't give away the ending, but I will say that in comparison to the rest of the movie it was kind of weak.

Also, that whole "What happened to Hunter?" thing written in the carpet isn't in the movie, so don't expect to see it.  I discussed the teasers and the trailers with a lot of people, and that part always stood out to them.  But it does make sense that it wasn't in the film.

Anyway, go see it.  I give it a 8.5/10, deducting points for the weak ending and the cheap (although very well orchestrated) scares.  Just go see it in the theater.  Don't bitch at me when it's not as scary at home because I totally warned you.

Oh, and I want to give a shout out to 101.5 JAMZ for putting on an excellent show.

14 comments:

  1. I was really scared by the first one, which annoyed me because I knew the back story of how it was made, and was on YouTube first, so I bought it to scare my sister. Despite that, it pulled me in and scared the hell out of me, especially the part where she was pulled out of bed. I expected her to be left on the floor, not dragged, and I did scream and clutch my sister throughout after! And I don't scare easily.

    So I promised myself I wouldn't watch the second one unless it was rubbish and not that scary. Well, I guess if even you were so scared you nearly puked then thats out for Halloween! Even the trailer makes me wig out, its the kid in the cot that gets me I think, kids always make it scarier. Sounds brilliant though, maybe I can try it, maybe....damn I am just kidding myself! Great review as always!

    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any movie that has you on the verge of vomiting is automatically added on my list of must see movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the first one was boring and terrible. This one was much more engaging and scary. I think it is a must see in the theater though. I think much like I felt about The Ring, it will lose a lot in even a good home theater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I've told you, what scared me about the first one was what you *didn't* see- what was happening when she was dragged off, etc. The eeriness of a light going on an off in the hallway- not scary, perhaps but creepy. Maybe creepy is a better word for the first one anyway.

    I doubt I can talk Dave into seeing it with me. I'm sure as hell not seeing it alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty sure I know the scene that made you almost vomit. If it is the same one as me I will embarrass myself and say I peed a little. It has been a while since a movie made me jump like this one.

    I will flip the f*ck out if anything bumps or bangs in my house tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only reason I saw it was because I promised my husband we would go see it. He loved the first one and so did I. Couldn't sleep for a week after that. During the summer we went to go see a movie and we saw the trailer and he made it up in his mind we're watching, forget the fact that there's a baby in the movie. I didn't want to see it because of this. So after he took me to see jackass last week, I said ok to PA2. It was scary, I jumped a few times as well as other people did, and we had a few screamers, in which did add the flavor for it. I like the story as to why it was going on, it was scary enough for me to hurry home so I could be with my son and yes he's sleeping with mommy tonight (Lol). Overall I gave it a 9.0 (lost one point because of the guy behind me making smartass remarks, but I laughed end the end cuz what he said was hilarious). Go see it in the theatre its worth it.

    @jeskin916

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Abby the dog <3

    As I've commented on your PA review, I hated the first one & was dragged into watching this sequel/prequel. I genuinely enjoyed this one and I jumped out of my seat a few times. Also found the way the tied the 2 movies together to be quite clever. Now, I'm hoping for a 3rd movie. Never thought that would ever happen.

    I think it's worth 8 but only because I still hate the original & my hatred carried over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't want to like this movie because I thought the first one is a Blair Witch tipoff.

    I liked the sequel & thought there was good suspense built up. Only thing I didn't like about watching the movie was the girls in front who screamed and giggled all the way through.

    If you can't handle horror & talk when scared, stay home.

    Mogularmy Sister

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like everyone here who saw it liked it, and it did really well at the box office this weekend, so GREAT!

    I was talking to Justhadto earlier today, and she brought up a good question: what did you make of the necklace going missing? They basically dropped it, but I was wondering if it was maybe something that was given to her as a child to keep the demon away? I don't know. How did you guys take it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the necklace will pop up in the 3rd movie (yes, I totally think there will be one) just like how Katie's photo appeared in PA & PA2.

    Didn't Katie give a necklace or was holding up a new necklace at he end of PA2 at the pool with her sister?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, she gave her a new necklace. Not sure if it was supposed to replace the one she lost or what. I bet you're right, the necklace will pop up in the 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope a 3rd one comes out.

    Well, I saw it tonight with my parents. I don't know what to say really, I liked it, but I didn't enjoy it as much when they hyped it. :S The loud noises and scare scenes didn't make me jump. Plus, you knew when the 'scary' scenes were suppose to happen, which ended up predictable.

    But my parents did jump when loud bangs occurred. It was funny as hell. You're right though, the film was funny. Everyone in my theater laughed and screamed, esp. the girls. Wow, haha. And at the end of the film, everyone clapped.

    I do like this a bit more than the first one. The first one was blegh. I guess, when you understand what happens in this film, you get the first film.

    Sorry if my mind is rambling, I'm just tired. Lol, 7.5.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked this movie, and it makes me appreciate the first one so much more!

    I'm thinking the necklace has something to with the necklace/bracelet at the end of the movie, which looked like it was made of wood just like something else that was VERY important in the movie. I don't want to give anything away!

    Anywho, I went with my boyfriend and held his hand the entire time, and there were a few times he completely crushed my hand, so I think that speaks volumes. I'd give it a 8.5-9/10/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. to be honest I didn't like either of em, though I agree ith the scares part, saw this in IMAX and it as bad. So frigging loud made my piss myself, not lierlly but whatever:b

    Overall I didn't really like it, but I like the act that it explains everything.

    ReplyDelete