Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Paranormal Activity

Whorticulture.com movie review of Paranormal Activity



Paranormal Activity (2009)

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I’d heard so many negative things about it when it came out that I made sure to steer clear, but now that the sequel is coming out I figured I’d subject myself to how terrible it was. I mean, it was SO critically panned. I didn’t know anybody who liked it. I assumed it was in the same vein as The Blair Witch Project, and God knows that was a steaming pile. But tonight, I can say I’m glad I just watched it.

Here’s what I didn’t like about it. First, you couldn’t really relate to the characters. Sure, they were a cute enough couple. They kind of make you laugh in that schmaltzy kind of way. But you never really feel bad for them for going through this because the movie makes very clear that the douchebag boyfriend is at fault. At one point they call in a psychic, and the psychic says in no uncertain terms “the worst thing you can do is try to communicate through an Ouija board. DO NOT TRY TO COMMUNICATE TO IT THROUGH A OUIJA BOARD.” So what does this idiot do? Of course, he gets a Ouija board. And shit goes down, just like you might expect. I suppose you might start to feel sorry for the girlfriend, but only because she has to deal with this idiot who completely negates any female agency in their relationship.

I also noticed there were many edits that really compromised the integrity of this film. It’s all based on the premise that this a found tape, and lots of random conversations are obviously edited. You can’t fully buy it because you see it’s being edited. It’s like in the beginning of Diary of the Dead and you learn that the girl added a soundtrack to make it more suspenseful or whatever. That’s a moronic ploy. If we pretend for a moment that this movie is for real, we still have to question why they edited the middle of conversations and not a lot of the other junk that was less necessary.

Now for what I liked about it. This is a movie that my boyfriend would hate – he jumps at loud noises even when the movie isn’t scary. This movie had enough jumps for a haunted house on Halloween. Also, I was under the impression that the sound effects in this movie were just a bunch of bangs, and that is not true. In the long list of similar nighttime scenes, a few of them really stand out. I think the first one that actually sent chills down my spine was near the beginning. It was this hideous inhuman scream, followed immediately by a loud bang. There’s also a scene where the girlfriend is grabbed by the ankle and dragged out of bed, then down the hall. That one was pretty good.

So this was pretty good, as far as scares go, but they were a bit few and far between. It worked suspense well. I wanted to eat my own face at the end, when they’ve both left the room and the seconds are just ticking, ticking, ticking away. I’m kind of torn on the ending (my version had the ending where the girlfriend throws the boyfriend at the camera, then sniffs him, then attacks the camera). The more I think about it, the more I suppose it was effective, although it was fairly anticlimactic. All in all I enjoyed this movie, even if the trailers DRASTICALLY overhyped it, and the majority of everyone I talked to hated it.

I dunno, 7.5/10? Sure, that sounds about right.

For a review of the sequel, click here.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Eddie,
    I woke up to this review and got so excited. I have finally seen something on here other than Cape Fear! YAY.
    I watched PA online awhile back and I had not heard anything about it prior to watching it. Which was a good thing since I came into it not knowing what to expect.

    I really didn't mind the feel of it even though Blair Witch and Cloverfield we're annoying and shaky.
    This movie kept me on the edge of my seat as I sat watching that damn clock in the corner. So much that I missed a couple of subtle things going on that I caught while re-watching later with my parents.
    Any movie that gives me a few chills then leaves me not wanting to turn the lights off later while listening for noises is a good thing so I can't hate on this film.
    After watching PA I went and read a few reviews and the comments we're all over the place. But for the most part the majority agreed that it was one of the scarier movies they had watched in recent years.
    I also realized that there we're three different endings to PA so I have now seen two of the three.
    My favorite ending by far is the first one I saw where she goes down stabs him to death then comes back and later gets killed by the cops.
    Which ending did you see?
    I've seen the PA2 review (thanks for making me aware of the remake via Twitter) I have to say it looks promising with the freaked out dog and scared babies in the mix. I wondered how they would pull off a sequel and I'm anxiously waiting for it to come out.
    Still Scared signing off.
    Oh and P.S where or where is The Crazies review? You know I will keep asking daily until I see it on here. Don't make me crazy. : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie was way over-hyped. When I saw the commercials with the pictures of movie-goers jumping out of their seats with fright, I thought - 'now this is a movie for me'. I had to put seeing it off, due to life circumstances - and the more the movie got raves, the more I NEEDED to see it. I never got the chance. Kicking myself over and over, I waited till it came out on video and had a night to myself and turned it on.

    After all that freaking hype, not a single piece of it scared me. I sat there literally WAITING and besides the few 'jumpy' moments - I was bored. Not just the silly movie that was supposed to be an amateur video, but the dialog that was 'supposed' to be real.

    I know people had issues with Blair Witch, but the thing was that it was so initially UNDER hyped that many questioned whether or not it was real. The acting was literally a bunch of kids being themselves so they didn't need to act. And when they seemed scared they seemed 'genuinely scared'.

    Unlike another movie I hated "Cloverfield" which had a bunch of nut-balls running around yelling "what the fuck was that?? what the fuck was that??" for an entire 90 minutes.

    All in all.. Hated It! Two Snaps and a Vodka Twist.

    This comment has been approved by TheRealLiarface

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to blunt---->I hated this movie. It was a blatant rip off of the Blair Witch format (blah, blah, blah...I know every movie is a rip off of another.)

    People are dogging Blair Witch now but it really did break movie ground when it was released. It felt much more real in its weakest moments than Paranomral Activity felt in its strongest scenes. I didn't buy into anything Paranormal Activity was selling me. I don't know if I should be blaming the actors, story, shit editing or the hype the studio created which never met its claims but whatever it is, the movie sucks balls. Hairy, ugly balls.

    I don't know if I'll watch the sequel. I don't want to waste my time again. I'll wait for your review when the movie comes out & decide then.

    My rating: 2 out of 10 stars.


    BTW, which ending did you see? There are a few alternate endings & one of them I did like. I won't spoil it for you but search them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mogularmy I really hope one of the alternative endings was that the people died cause the poltergeist *ATE* them :D

    -TheRealLiarFace

    ReplyDelete
  5. @realliarface I wish! If your ending had happened, I would have given it 3 stars :D


    I agree with your Cloverfield comment too. I hated it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ending that came with my version was the one where she throws him at the camera, then sniffs him, then attacks the camera. It was okay. I managed to find the one where she slits her own throat online but for the life of me I can't find the police ending. From what I've read, that one seems to be the overwhelming favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't hate this movie but I can't say that it creeped me out like I anticipated after all the hype. I want a horror movie to suck me into the scenes so I experiences the same terror as the characters and that just didn't happen for me in this movie. Maybe I just don't find paranormal themes all that scary. It had some good "made me jump" moments but beyond that I found myself kind of bored. I'd rate it maybe 4 out of 10.

    I found the Paranormal Activity 2 trailer to have more of a creep factor with mirror reflection showing the baby in the crib and "What is happening to hunter?" scrawled on the floor ..so I'm kind of intrigued to see what they do with the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @whorticulture I have the version with the police ending. I think its the best alternate ending among the group.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK I have been told to open myself up for public mockery by leaving a comment, so Im here! I thought it would be pants, it had to be overhyped, and I bought it purely to freak my sisters out for the night we had planned together! However, I ended up getting drawn in, despite the fact I didnt care about the characters or general premise of the story, in fact, I couldnt see what was so special about the woman that it had stalked her for years cos shes as boring as a box of hair. I got gripped by the first scream, that sent chills down me, and when she was dragged out of bed I thought she would just fall on the floor, but when she was dragged up the hallway I got a bit scared again. The last scene was subtle but good, and I will admit I jumped really high when the body came flying at the camera, as fake as it looked, but I had been leaning forward listening to the voices downstairs so it was coming. The thud thud thud scared the shit out of me, in fact I think that was scarier than if they had shown the thing itself, cos you still dont know what form it took to do all that Lets put it this way, I was a bit jumpy in the dark for days after, and that never happens, I watch things like Hostel easily, so Im not usualy scared by anything but I love scary films, so at least I found a film that put the willies up me (pardon the phrase)for a bit!

    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  10. The film had some scares to it, other wise, to be honest. IT JUST SUCKED!

    I admit, I got scared by the effects that they had, because well, I can relate to it and I know others can. But the film was so cheesy! It's not as scary like, Blair Witch Project. At least Blair Witch was scary, throw a witch and being stranded in the forest. If I was paid a million bucks to sit in a forest and thinking there was a witch, I'd go fetal.

    Paranormal Activity was over-hyped. I hated the ending both endings! When they had to show the picture of the protagonists, it wasn't believable.

    But low and behold Paranormal Activity 2 is coming! Which, to tell you, I am excited about. HOPEFULLY, and I'm getting my hopes really high, but I don't care.. Hopefully it will do better than this first one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I resisted seeing Paranormal Activity because of the hype surrounding it - a marketing campaign doesn't have any business telling an audience how scary a movie is. It's bound to disappoint the audience and thus backfire, anyway. Those commercials showing terrified audiences... Really? You put stock in that? They're just trying to sell you the movie.

    It scared the living daylights out of me. I couldn't sleep with the light off for over a week. I am not a horror movie person and I don't know what makes a good scary movie. So I decided based on what I knew: It accomplished its goal of scaring me pretty fucking effectively, so I say it's a decent scary movie worth seeing.

    This might be a harebrained theory, but whatthefuckever: Don't most scary movies require a suspension of disbelief? Ghosts, witches, monsters, aliens, etc. Now the "villain" in Paranormal Activity was a demon. I grew up among religious nuts. Ghosts, aliens, nothing was real, I was taught. But even from a young age, I was told demons ARE real and indeed something to be afraid of. (Yeaaaaaah.) So I thought about it, and maybe I found the movie so terrifying was it snuck past all my rational defenses and touched on that childhood belief that shit like that DOES exist and shit like that does happen.

    What the hell, I'll see the second one.

    Jen/@antifakebitch

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen/@antifakebitch,
    I grew up the same way. My mom made me watch The Exorcist at 5, telling me that the exact same thing would happen to me if I ever bought a Ouija board. So yeah, movies like this get you deep down inside, in that spot that is created from growing up in that environment. It doesn't matter how far removed you are from it.

    And I would say that some horror movies require a "suspension of disbelief," but not all of them, because some horror movies just deal with regular slasher people. I would say that this one does, though, especially for people with no prior belief system in place for ghosts or demons. My boyfriend thought it was so boring. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete