Thursday, October 28, 2010

How Do You Like Your Zombies?

Whorticulture.com Presents A New Reader Poll: How Do You Like Your Zombies?


I've been watching Dead Set at night (I'm through episode three now) and was only slightly disappointed to see it features fast zombies.  I'm totally old school, I prefer slow zombies.

Don't get me wrong, I see the benefit of fast zombies.  Slow zombies are easy to out-maneuver.  You can basically speed-walk right past them.  But COME ON.  They're dead!  Nothing could have speed once it's dead!  The system has shut down, the muscles are atrophying, the blood is not pumping.  DEAD.

Simon Pegg, star of one of the best zombie movies ever (perhaps best in recent times - thanks a pant load, George Romero) Shaun of the Dead, wrote a great article about it.  You can read it here.  He was also prompted by Dead Set.

Please note, this is not to bag on Dead Set.  It's been fantastic so far!  I can't wait to finish it!

So which do you prefer?  Fast or Slow?  It's our new reader poll, so go ahead and vote.  And if you've got reasons for fast (or more reasons for slow), feel free to start a discussion here in the comments.


VERSUS

9 comments:

  1. I like my zombies sloowww and it would be even better if they grunted and moaned to Hip Hop, Be Bop.

    The whole concept of fast zombies is just absurd. They're dead, limbs are rotting off, and they can still pump those crazy legs?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! Obvious third option: "Without the soul for getting down."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say slow. Wouldn't fast zombies just kind of be like vampires who eat brains?

    Love on the slow zombies who have a finger drop off randomly or an eye pop out of the socket. Oh man...Now I want to watch some cheesy zombie flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the movies Fast Zombies tend to be pre-dead beings that are zombieish based on tainted hamburger (Zombieland) or experimental monkeys (28 Days Later). Slow Zombies are actual people coming back from the dead.

    But for I gotta go for Fast, cause I hate to walk so the thought of running for my life scares the beejezers out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Ben, thank you! I'm kind of a Nazi about the creatures from 28 Days Later not being actual zombies. Being infected with a rage serum does not equal walking undead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer mine fast, cos its scarier, like you said, they would be easy to outrun otherwise. So I am of the 28 days later (although technically not zombies) variety. However, this causes great tension between me and my husband, who is old school Romero, and sticks fast to the 'slow zombies', as physically their legs would snap if they ran. Hence many rows between him and the TV whenever a 'fast' zombie is featured in a film we watch!
    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get how slow zombies is winning the poll. If you didn't vote for fast zombies, I've got a bone or brainsssssss to pick with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People, fast zombies are the ONLY way to go. Slow ones aren't scary. Would you be scared of a zombie you could easily pass in the hallway or walk in front of casually? No. That's like saying you can be scared of vampires but have the ability to ward them off by making a cross out of your fingers. Lame. Come on, have some brainsssssss. It may not feel right, but think about really being chased by a slow or fast one, listen to your sphincters reaction, and you will know the truth. Fast zombies rule.
    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to go for slooooww, cuz im old skool like that.

    ReplyDelete