Thursday, September 23, 2010

Buried


Whorticulture.com movie review for Buried, starring Ryan Reynolds.  Directed by Rodrigo Cortés




Buried 

Buried stars Ryan Reynolds, and was directed by Rodrigo Cortés.  It's definitely an achievement for Cortés who has only directed shorts prior to this full length feature film. It opens nationwide on October 8th, 2010.  This was, by far, the best performance of Reynolds’s I’ve ever seen.  Ryan carries the film basically solo.  The only others in the movie are mere voices over the phone, and one woman we watch via cell phone video.

Reynolds plays Paul Conroy, a truck driver in Iraq.  His convoy is attacked by a group of insurgents, and Paul wakes up in a wooden coffin, buried under many feet of sand.  Bound and gagged, he is left a cell phone, a lighter, 2 glow sticks, a junk flashlight, a flask of alcohol, and his anxiety pills.  He has no idea where he is.  His cell phone is in Arabic.  His only chance of survival is the cell phone, as he races against suffocation and the shower of sand slipping into the coffin.

I’ve seen Reynolds in countless roles, from the sarcastic smart ass in Van Wilder and Waiting, to the comic book anti-hero Deadpool.  Women swoon over his abs and his boyish good looks (my friend MogulArmy is very sad that he remains fully clothed in Buried).  This was like nothing I’ve ever seen him in.  This was pure brilliance.  I cannot stress this enough.  I can only hope he receives the accolades he deserves for this.  He carries this entire movie on his shoulders and never once falters.  

Aside from the impressive performance, this movie was outstanding.  I cried like a baby.  It was a white-knuckle thrill ride; constant ups and downs, twists and turns, and I left feeling truly spent.  Absolute heart-wrenching suspense.  It even managed to sprinkle classic Ryan Reynolds sarcasm on top.  It was arresting; completely riveting.  

I have to give this movie a 10/10.  You should do yourself a favor and see this movie.

And this is where my review ends.  However, there’s something I’d like to address, but it’s totally a spoiler.  If you don’t want this movie spoiled for you, stop reading RIGHT NOW.  Personally, I’d suggest you stop reading.  Don’t ruin it for yourself.

*******

To the douchebags with whom I saw this film,
I’m not surprised you groaned at the ending.  Here’s a tip: when the screen goes black, that’s not a cue for you to start talking or laughing.  I haven’t heard so much shushing in my life!  I suppose that’s the problem with free passes – anybody will come.  In any case, you failed to get into the movie from the first minute, so don’t groan and bitch that he isn’t saved in the end.  Not all movies have to have happy endings.  I don’t know what you were expecting, but it was fairly obvious that this wasn’t going to be all sunshine and flowers.

7 comments:

  1. I am so happy Ryan Reynolds finally made a film that will make the critics respect him. I have been a fan through the good (Waiting, Just Friends - shoot me I like it- Smoking Aces, Blade Trinity) and the bad (Amityville Horror, Van Wilder) and hoped he could make a film that people would come out of and say 'Hey he is quite the actor'. So thank you for proclaiming the arrival of said film, there was me thinking it would be Green Lantern (Kidding, I know its going to suck balls, just another one to let me down). I will definitely be going to see this when it airs here next week, another fine review!
    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  2. @StarsMum
    You didn't like Van Wilder either? Awesome! My boyfriend can't understand why I don't like it. He LOVES it. I think it tries to be too many things and falls flat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome, but I am glad I read the spoiler part. I couldn't watch this movie if I tried. In fact, I was starting to get short of breath just reading through the first couple paragraphs.

    I also cannot stand Van Wilder. I have watched maybe 10 minutes total throughout that film. Just can't get into it. Waiting is better. You know, if I have to watch a comedy of that 'caliber'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to go see this movie! Ryan Reynolds is my god! and I will see anything he's in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @doratonks07
    PLEASE go see it! I have a weird feeling it's not going to get the press it should. And you'll LOVE IT. You'll love it so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I couldn't wait for this to come out, so I cracked under the Christmas blues and watched it, partly because this review was so good I had to see if it was right.

    Oh my gosh! I never thought I would see a Ryan Reynolds film that could completely distract me from my overwhelming love for the dumbass douche, but this is it. He was incredible, the plot was so rollercoaster, and during the last ten minutes I couldn't sit down and kept hoping so badly that the review was wrong. Sadly, Eddie is always right. But I adored his character so much and was rooting for him to get out, that when he didn't it was so crushing. That said, it was the right ending. Life sucks, and nothing ends in a fairytale ending. So it was the best way to end it, just upsetting. Damn you Ryan Reynolds for distracting me from my lap warmth for you!
    I love this. Well done Eddie for another fabbo review.
    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved buried, but when he turns around in the coffin, I kind of wanted to throw up.

    ReplyDelete