Monday, October 18, 2010

Night of the Demons (2009)

Whorticulture.com reviews Night of the Demons (2009), starring Shannon Elizabeth and the guy who ate Edward Furlong


The closing night event at the International Horror and Sci Fi Film Festival was the remake of possibly my favorite horror movie ever, Night of the Demons.


I didn't really know what to expect from it, I just wanted lots of boobs and gore.  I wasn't thrilled with Shannon Elizabeth playing Angela...but I was willing to overlook it.  Plus, Tiffany Shepis was going to be there.  Granted, she only has about 4 minutes of screen time (she plays Diana, the door bitch who steals all the money and books it out ALIVE when the cops come).  She's in a bunch of my favorite Troma movies, so I was pretty jazzed.



The movie is EXCELLENT.  It's not very close to the original.  First off, this new mansion they're in wasn't ever a funeral home.  The background story isn't nearly as cool as the one in the original - this one is about some woman pining for a man to love her and basically calls upon the help of some demons who (gasp) trick her.  These demons were kicked out of Hell and now seek to take over the world by possessing 7 people on Halloween night.  Okay, so it's not Shakespeare, but it doesn't really matter.  We just want tits and blood!

Dear God, did we get a lot of tits and blood.  Not even Shannon Elizabeth's tits, which I was personally grateful for.  We get both Diora Baird and Bobbi Sue Luther's tits, which are excellent.  We get demon anal rape (Tiffany Shepis seemed extra excited about that one - and it was pretty awesome).  We get a chick's tits and face being ripped off.  We even get a cameo from Linnea Quigley (this basically made the movie for me right there) basically bringing her character Suzanne back from the dead just to warm my heart.

Oh, AND we get a tribute to Linnea Quigley's cinematic masterpiece - the lipstick scene.  Check out my previous post on that here

The remake captured the pure cheese essence of the original, but brought it up to date for more modern audiences.  I could have gone without seeing Edward Furlong - or really, the guy who ATE Edward Furlong in all of his bloated New Jersey Housewife glory.  That poor bastard.

Anyway, it comes out on DVD and Blu ray tomorrow (October 19th), so PLEASE check this one out!  Thankfully I already picked mine up - complete with an autograph from Tiffany Shepis.  It's a really fun time.  And if you haven't, GODDAMMIT go pick up the original!  You are missing cinema brilliance with that one!

I give the remake an 8/10.  It's pure cheese, and it's got the 3 B's (boobs, blood, and beasts)!

5 comments:

  1. I was uber excited to read your review because I wanted to make sure I was imagining how good this film was. Once I heard Shannon Elizabeth was cast as Angela & the movie was going straight to DVD, I held no hope for the movie. I was planning to point & laugh.

    Imagine my surprise when I found myself liking the flick and not cringing at the acting. I liked the changes to the story--great updates to appeal to a new generation of horror fans. It made me sad though to see Edward Furlong. He looked & sounded like a middle aged woman whining through the movie. (I nominate your "bloated New Jersey housewife glory" as one of your best lines ever.

    Good suspense, great death scenes & loved the way the director paid homage to the original.

    I concur with your 8/10 and hope everyone watches the original too (but not the sequels because they both sucked big, hairy balls).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked this film, and now you have finally seen it I can no longer feel ashamed I saw it early! I have to watch the original now, because if its anything like this I will like it. I even jumped a couple of times, always a plus. I join you in the pity for my beloved Edward Furlong though, sadly I actually thought his bloated corpse had drifted into the film via the skills of a necromancer, as he had no charisma, energy, will to be there, and looked half dead. Such a boner killer. Now, do you think they will remake the others now (as they have with two of the Halloweens?)

    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  3. @StarsMum
    Tiffany talked about it a little, but it didn't sound like they had plans to do any sequels. I hope they do. I know Tiffany REALLY wants to play Angela if they continue the series. I think it probably depends on how DVD sales go, that's why I'm urging everybody to pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a shame that the movie company didn't put more support & publicity $$$ behind this movie.

    The movie already had three strikes against it:
    -Shannon Elizabeth cast as Angela
    -Movie was shelved for almost 2 years
    -Movie went straight to DVD

    The above would make most horror fans skip movie & dismiss is as another stinker. I think a kick ass trailer and decent tv ad time would have made this into a surprise hit.

    Too bad, the movie does deserve better promotion by its makers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with MogulArmy. I do think Shepis would have made a more heartfelt Angela, however I didn't really feel like Shannon Elizebeth phoned it in. I had a good time and the anal demon rape was a pleasant surprise.

    I do also appreciate the homage to the original in the beginning, and i love the kids paintballing the bully stealing everyone's candy.

    ReplyDelete