Friday, January 18, 2013

Insidious

Whorticulture Reviews Insidious



I'm still catching up from spending the past two billion years pregnant, so pardon me while I watch movies tons of you have already seen.  I finally got to see Insidious yesterday, which stars Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne.  If you've followed this blog you know I have a pretty strict NO BIG NAMES attitude when it comes to horror.  Obviously every rule has an exception and Insidious is about as close to that as you're going to get.

Insidious is about a little boy (NOT the little boy in the poster - that's his brother, who really has very little to do with the movie) who excels at astral projection, gets lost in "the further," and is subsequently attacked by demons and other beings trying to enter his spiritless body.

I heard pretty mixed reviews ("Inshittious" to quote my buddy Alex) so I was ready for this to suck pretty fast and hard. 

It didn't.

Imagine that Poltergeist and The Shining had a baby.  That baby is Insidious.  I remember seeing the demon in the commercials - you know, the one who's painted up like Darth Maul - and I thought "that's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen."  It's used pretty well in the movie, however.  And there is some WEIRD shit that goes on.  It was pretty obvious but it wasn't entirely bothersome.  I dunno, I dug it.  There's no gore, no boobies, but I was entertained.  Lin Shaye was in it as well, and we should just consider her a veteran horror actress at this point.

I do have one complaint.  Rose Byrne, I'm sorry but you'll forever be Jackie Q to me, and girl you just did NOT sell this role.  I'm a mom ("the fuck!?" said so many of you) and I just wasn't buying the level of fear that should have been there.

Anyway, this review sucks, but the movie was pretty good.  8/10 on pure entertainment value.  If you've seen it I want to know what you thought.  Will you see the sequel?  What do you hope happens in the sequel?

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I liked it too. When that mask appears behind the dad out on the blue in broad daylight, I nearly shit! And I even liked the weird sequence at the end with the family on the couch, which most reviewers didn't, I guess(I can't remember what that part was all about, been a year+ since I saw it, us late bird! j/k) Anyway, I will probably see the sequel and it'll probably suck. Good review!-josephgein

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love LOVED the part with the family on the couch. I couldn't look away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously can't believe you liked this shit. Eddie I am disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Jackie Q's "husband" ties her up and makes her sing that ring round song from Get Him to the Greek while she cries.

    ReplyDelete