Monday, December 13, 2010

Black Christmas (1974)

Whorticulture.com Reviews Black Christmas (1974), Starring Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder


Since Black Christmas is basically in the lead (Gremlins keeps catching up) on our poll, I thought I'd check it out.  It's shameful that I'd never seen it before, especially since it stars the ethereal and alluring Olivia Hussey.
Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh.

And Margot Kidder, who I could really care less about, because she reminds me of The Amityville Horror, thus reminds me of pure unfrightening fakery.  Oh, and John Motherfucking Saxon is in it, too, and yet again he pulls out zero karate.  Sigh.

In any case, here's a quick plot outline: an anonymous psycho breaks into a sorority house and murders the inhabitants during the holidays.

Some things really stood out to me.  First off, it jumps right into the action, which I appreciate.

Secondly, I'd love to know why nobody checked the house for the bodies of the girls.  Apparently the attic is the best place to hide bodies.  GOOD TO KNOW.

Somebody ignored the warning on the bag.

Third, was tracing phone calls really that difficult in the 1970's?  Jesus, why did anybody bother?

Fourth, anybody else notice that Olivia Hussey's name in this movie is Jess Bradford?  Ha.

WHAT.

So, all in all, it wasn't a bad movie.  It was a little too low on gore for my taste, but that's what you get with movies from before the tits-n-blood decade known as the '80's.  It wasn't particularly scary.  I wish they would have gone into more detail about the killer.  I mean, wtf was his motivation?  Does it matter?  I think yes, in this case it does.  Does the remake go more into it?  I guess I'll find out.  Does the 13 year old they find in the park have anything to do with this?  It didn't seem like it.  I have no idea.  But maybe if I knew more about the killer I'd understand that better.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.  It just wasn't my style, but it wasn't a bad movie by any means.

WTF Trivia: The director of Black Christmas (1974) also directed Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things and...A CHRISTMAS STORY.  WTF!?

2 comments:

  1. The remake goes into WAY more detail about the killer. It's much more gory and sick...especially "Billy's" background. I've seen both, and I can appreciate each in their own way. But as for the remake...expect an obviously updated storyline (Internet! Cell phones!), a batshit crazy mom, incest (yes, incest), and a touch of cannibalism. It's EFFED. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mixed feelings about this a couple of days after watching it. I liked some of the death scenes, and there were some amusing dialogue moments, but at the end of the day, i don't think I gave a crap about any of the characters. I think I didn't know enough about anyone to care. I think the only one that had any motivation for anything in life was the pregnant one fighting with her boyfriend. Even then I have no idea what was really going on that should have made me care more.

    I give it a 5. It didn't leave me angry (see Thankskilling for my anger) it left me uncaring.

    ReplyDelete