Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Your Opinion of George Romero

Whorticulture.com Asked, You Answered: What Do You Think of George Romero?




The first question we posed was your opinion of his latest movies (ex.:  Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and Survival of the Dead).

Which is the worst?

Land of the Dead - his first attempt since 1985's Day of the Dead - scored 7%.

Diary of the Dead scored 14%.

Survival of the Dead - the latest cinematic abortion - scored a whopping 64%.

Of course, the options "I've only seen Dawn of the Dead" and "I've never seen any of these" each scored 7%, finishing out the poll with 99%.

Why this is surprising:  That many of you saw Survival of the Dead?

Why this isn't surprising:  Dawn of the Dead was Romero's magnum opus.  Following Night of the Living Dead, it was by far his greatest work.  And since then, with Day of the Dead and onward, they've gotten progressively worse.  I remember seeing Land of the Dead and being moderately disappointed, thinking nothing could get worse.  Then I saw Diary of the Dead.  And then, sadly, I saw Survival of the Dead.  I don't recommend either. 

So then we asked you "Should George Romero stop making movies?"

7% of you said no way!

7% of you said only his zombie movies suck.  Honestly I've only seen a few of his non-zombie films so I can't really judge that.  I saw his version of The Crazies though, and you can read my review of it here.

15% of you expressed surprise that George Romero still makes movies.  Ha.

And 69% of you said "please god, yes!"

There you have it.  George, your movies suck now.  Take the hint and bow out while you can still muster some grace about it.  Just kidding, you lost that with Survival of the Dead.  God, that was a blistering piece of crap.

And yes, I know he's writing some zombie books, which I'm certain he'll turn into more cinematic abortions.  And yes, I'll be here to complain about them.  Join me, won't you?

As always, thanks for voting.  Stay tuned for more polls.  And don't forget to comment - we love hearing your opinions over here.  Even if you think we're dead wrong.  

4 comments:

  1. but he wont stop. we all know that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People will keep paying him to make movies about zombies or write about zombies.

    BTW, according to an interview he did, there may be a Living Dead musical. Read the end of the interview. lol

    http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/05/george-romero.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't read that, because I would have to rip my eyeballs out. A Living Dead Musical? It's been done, it's called Dead & Breakfast, and it's retarded.

    If he just treated them like cheesy, terrible zombie movies, I would respect them (and him) a lot more. But the overwhelming social commentary...I just can't. You're not making a statement, George. You're making a shite movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw Survival of the Dead a few nights ago from redbox. He went a different direction than most current zombie movies do, which I definitely respected. It was more about the struggle between the two families, and the zombies were just a sideplot. It wasn't a masterpiece by any means, and disappointing coming from Romero, but it sure was a lot better than Diary of the Dead.

    ReplyDelete