Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Roommate

Whorticulture.com Reviews The Roommate



So...okay.  I tried not to be against this movie from the beginning, but it was impossible.  There is no reason for horror movies OR thrillers with a PG-13 rating.  This movie especially.  I'm going to have to assume I was too old for this movie, because it's obviously made for teenagers.

I was too busy eye rolling and playing on my phone through most of this (that should tell you something), so I didn't take many notes.  I'll point out important points.

1:  I swear to God, this movie is like The Disney Channel remade Single White Female.  (Both based on the John Lutz novel).

2:  I'll give them credit on their casting choices.  Leighton Meester and Minka Kelly become almost  indistinguishable - probably a little earlier on than desired - but by that point I was so bored with the movie I gave up trying.  The acting is decent.  It's the turning of the plot into a Disney classic that fails.

3:  I'm sorry, but this was ridiculously boring and predictable.  It's basically rated PG-13 for "menacing," whatever the hell that means.  Seriously, you've seen this story so many times before, and you've seen it BETTER in Single White Female.

4:  As you can tell with the PG-13 rating, there's no gore.  And there's really very little scare.  Ripping out a belly button ring?  I'm bored.

So who is going to like this movie?  Kids too young to see Single White Female.  Fans of The Disney Channel.  But it's too much of a drama to be scary.  I don't recommend this for anyone over the age of 15.  I give this a 4 out of 10, and I'm being seriously generous. 

Just go rent Single White Female.  You'll thank me.

4 comments:

  1. Damn, so its not even Lifetime-style hilarious, then? Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather see Chris Farley rip out a nipple ring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the trailer was a *yawn* i was actually debating to see this.

    ReplyDelete