Sunday, January 1, 2012

Best and Worst of 2011

The Best and the Absolute Bullshit Worst Horror Movies of 2011



The best horror movie I saw this year...well, the best horror movie I saw this year was Rec 2.  But that came out in 2009.  So the best horror movie of 2011 was FRIGHT NIGHT.


A remake!?  I know!  But it was good and if you saw it, you know it.  I found Colin Farrell's performance surprisingly good, but I really enjoyed David Tennant as vampire hunter/poser Peter Vincent.  It's not that I have anything against David Tennant - my husband is a Blue Box Wholigan from way back.  But he's got the most annoying fan base ever.  I've watched my husband be accosted by angry 14 year old's just for wearing a shirt with a TARDIS on it.  "David Tennant is MINE!" they scream.  Yes, I'm sure he is.  I'm sure he's really into 14 year old's.

In any case, the only complaint I have is McLovin Christopher Mintz-Plasse.  It's not his fault I guess, but his comedic vampire schtick was unnecessary and out of place.  But whatever, it still wins BEST HORROR FILM OF 2011.

As always there were some serious stinkers in 2011.  I feel like Hollywood thinks that scaring teenagers is like shooting fish in a barrel, and that's about the level of effort they put in.  But I'm going to say the worst horror movie of 2011 was DREAM HOUSE because it broke every rule for a good horror movie.  And BIG FUCKING SHOCK, IT SUCKED.  I mean, who came up with that idea?  Let's remake a movie we've all seen 10,000 times, but we'll put in big names, because THAT'LL WORK.  God I hate you.

So let's just forget about that bullshit and look ahead to 2012.  We'll see:
- Ghostbusters 3
- World War Z
- Darren Lynn Bousman's Mother's Day (see, Darren?  I know we've had our differences, and you were a dick to me when I cared more about meeting Bill Moseley and discussing House of 1000 Corpses than kissing your ass over Repo! The Genetic Opera, but I'm still really looking forward to your Mother's Day adaptation)
- Halloween 3D (yeah I don't know either you guys)
- The Lords of Salem (which, at least, has intriguing casting, and my homeboy Ken Foree is in it!)
- Child's Play remake (mhmm)
- Thanksgiving (based on the Grindhouse trailer - but nothing will ever top the classic Thankskilling)

So what were your best & worst horror movies of 2011?  What are you looking forward to in 2012?

4 comments:

  1. Fright Night didn't intrigue me when I saw the trailer, but after reading this. I might consider watching it. Thanks Eddie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin Farrell is a sexy beast. Love that they kept the same awesome balance of camp & horror as the original. Double love that Chris Sarandon makes a cameo!

    Best Horror Movies in 2011 for me: Insidious, Fright Night, Attack the Block, The Ward &

    Worst Movies: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Final Destination 5, Wrong Turn 4, Apocalypse of the Dead, Scream 4 & The Roommate

    Best Horror Movie Title: Bong of the Dead (movie is awful)

    Mogularmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worst Horror Flick of 2011: Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1. {{shivers}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I totally forgot about Scream 4 and The Roommate. I think everybody else did, too. The only good part of The Roommate is the scene where they're watching Rock of Love Bus (I love trash TV, that shit was my jam).

    Twilight is proof that just because it involves vampires and werewolves, it's not horror. It's like when you go to the video store and Interview with the Vampire is in the horror section. HAVE YOU SEEN THIS? you wonder, and move it to the drama section as a favor to the workers. Or maybe that's just me?

    ReplyDelete