Friday, November 5, 2010

Hellraiser

Whorticulture.com Reviews Hellraiser




I've been avoiding Clive Barker's Hellraiser (1987) for (almost) my entire life.  It's not really my style - it's a little darker than MY type of horror movie.  But having watched it, I'm glad I waited, because I don't think I would have appreciated it.

So the plot.  A husband and wife move into a house, where they find the husband's brother "living" upstairs.  He's also the wife's former adulterous lover.  Anyway, he's lost most of his human body escaping these S&M demons called Cenobites, and forces the wife to bring him victims because the more blood that is spilled, the more human he gets.



There are really big positives and really big negatives about this movie.

Negatives:
1. The majority of the acting is atrocious.  Clare Higgins as Julia is just terrible.  Her acting is too over the top and unbelievable.
2.  The movie is slow and a bit confusing in the beginning, to the point where I considered turning it off.
3:  Needs more Cenobites.


Positives:
1:  Ashley Laurence as Kristy is a shining light.  She is by far the best part of the movie.
2:  The gore is fantastic!  There is some sick shit in this movie, which makes it totally worth watching.
3:  The Cenobites, specifically my new obsession Grace Kirby, the Female Cenobite, who also happens to be Clive Barker's cousin.
I love you.


So, yeah.  The Cenobites are the best, most interesting part of the movie.  I just wish they would have been in it more.

This movie is pretty legit.  Glad I checked it out.
I give it a 7/10.

5 comments:

  1. I watched this in school when I was 11. Not joking. I hate this film because when I went home and told my mum, she totally humiliated me by calling the school about it, who then talked about it 'scaring' me in class the next day. Everyone laughed at me and I never lived it down. Bless her. Therefore it was never gonna be my fav film, but regardless, it sucks, but I have no doubt this is on Hollywoods 'We have no new ideas so lets do a remake' list. FML
    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear God, I can't imagine watching it at 11, nevermind IN SCHOOL. What the hell is the educational value in Hellraiser? I don't understand! Please explain to me why anyone would show this to a classroom of 11 year olds.

    But sorry it was so traumatic for you, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the first in the series was not my favorite,it also wasnt the first one i saw. i probably wouldnt have watched the rest of them if i had seen it first. i saw the third one first and it was gory as all hell and i loved it! keep going into the series where theres lots of pinhead and the movies get better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was in a PSHE class where the teacher was a dumb bitch and let us bring videos in to watch, regardless of the age limit, stupid cow. I had been watching horror films younger, but this one wasn't appropriate for school, or 11 year olds! Stupid teacher, I know she regrets it cos she got fired for it. LOL.
    @StarsMum

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the few horror series that scared me as a kid. Ive refused to rewatch the Hellraiser movies as am adult. It's silly but only Pinhead, the little boy from Ju-On & those evil porcelain dolls/clown dolls scare the sh£t out of me.

    ReplyDelete